Monday, January 13, 2014

Artist Showcase-20... Victoria Varela

Hello MONDAY,

       Today I'm starting  my journey (once again) with some talented artists/designers whom I met last year (on Facebook !!! ), and they are my friends, colleagues, and most importantly, a great part of my online life.

Once again Happy New Year to my beautiful readers.




Introducing  Victoria Varela, a textile designer from Argentina!

In her own words,'' I was born in Mar del Plata, Argentina, a beautiful seaside city, an open horizon and the fresh salty air. I studied a degree in Physics for three years and I did not finish my studies. I moved to San Carlos de Bariloche and started a family that I dedicate myself completely. I am a mother of three beautiful and energetic children (7, 6 and 3 years old) They are my Kirpa, the grace of God raining down on us, always.''

Happy reading...

How would you describe yourself?
Usually introverted and shy, but when I'm drawing, I'm free and a bit salty and stormy  as the sea.




What do you like to do when you are not designing?
Well, actually, I would have to change the question slightly and would ask: What do you like to do when you are not taking care of your  kids? Then I would answer: design!

Describe your style.
I don’t know if I have yet a style but I always look that my designs have some of these ingredients: hand drawn, geometric, soft, spicy… and a nice background.




What’s your favorite color?
Aqua and red, dark blue and pink, I love the colors, not only to watch but also to touch and taste them!

When did you get the idea that “designing” was the thing you love?
Since young I really liked to sew, my mother taught me. A few years ago I started to learn how to make quilts. I realized that for some projects I could not find that special fabric I had imagined and so I discovered Spoonflower. I was delighted when I received my first fabric and started sewing with them!





Tell us about your first collection, and your first show ?
My first collection was Mandorla, and I still have to work hard on it! I tried to represent the feminine energy, their movements and dances in praise to God. I made a cute bag with these fabrics and I'm very happy with it!

Anything you want to share to your readers about setting up his/her own business ?
I haven’t yet set up a business, I tell myself that I’m in the learning stage and that's a mistake. Being shy is not a good strategy to run a business! But that's me and I'm working hard on that! Every day I try to find the time to design or sew. I am persistent and I let myself be guided by my Lord.





Who is your dream client ?
My client is a dream dreamed yet! I love to design for those who need a special fabric for a quilt or a very personal and appreciated project.

Tell us a bit about your biggest challenge in your career, and the way you handled it ?
The biggest challenge is, at this time, continue to work without neglecting quality time shared with my children. And finish my sewing projects!





Your greatest inspiration is ?
Mother nature, the flowers, the energy flowing into me, my dreams, my senses.

How would you describe your work place ..?
My workplace is defined by the energy of my children at different times of day. I like to draw and sew when they play and talk near me, and working on the computer when they sleep. I recently was able to get a beautiful furniture where I could organize my drawings, my fabrics, and my two beautiful sewing machines.




Where can people contact you ?
My web site is http://kirpa79.wix.com/kirpa#

You can also see her work on Facebook  https://www.facebook.com/victoria.varela.980?fref=ts
You can buy her beautiful fabrics from her Spoonflower shop  http://www.spoonflower.com/profiles/kirpa 

-------------------------------------

Thanks Victoria for this wonderful interview... The one thing I loved the most is the way you twisted the question to show your love towards your kids! I really appreciate this for I am just like you---  FAMILY FIRST !



See you all very very soon...